The doldrums of winter now seem like a distant memory. Every day gets a little bit warmer, and before you know it, summer will be in full swing. For brands, now is the time to make that final push towards stacking their deck and ensuring their summer promotions lineup go off without a hitch. Shoppers will be out in full swing this summer and influencing their purchase habits won’t be as easy as an afternoon in the hammock – unless you have the right ideas and strategies. This infographic highlights some of the best ways to take advantage of those great summer vibes and keep consumers shopping.
SOME LIKE IT HOT!
- Studies show that warmth leads to more purchases (46% more likely to shop at 77℉ than at 68℉)
- People pay more too: over 80% of consumers were willing to pay more for goods and services when they’re warm
- People on vacation are more likely to go shopping (and in fact view going shopping as a critical part of being on vacation), and the fact is that the vast majority of Americans and others in the Northern Hemisphere vacation between June and September
- 46% of surveyed consumers noted they will book their summer trip when the right deal presents itself to them online, and they will hold out until they see the right deal.(not completely sure how this is a relevant stat)
- What describes the average person’s ideal summer?
- Going on holidays (22%)
- Good weather (28%)
- Good times with family and friends (38%)
Key Summer Shopping Periods
- Memorial Day
- Father’s Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
Summertime Success: Promotions Thought Starters
Continuity Programs: Keep consumers buying again and again. – “Buy our frozen lemonade every week for a chance to win a Hawaiian vacation at the end of summer!”
Surprise & Delight: Offer valued shoppers a summer-themed gift. – “Thanks for being a loyal customer! Here’s a free summer bronzer to capture that sun-kissed look.”
Innovative & Targeted Rewards: Give season appropriate rewards. – “Get home safely after those BBQ parties! Buy our beer and earn Lyft credits.”, “This back-to school season buy our product for a chance to win a college scholarship.”
Basket Growth Programs: Incentivizing multiple purchases. – “Buy marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers for a chance to win a camping trip for the whole family.”
Co-branded Promotions: Capitalize on synergy between brands. – “Buy Brand X burgers & Brand Y buns for a free BBQ recipe digital book.”
Influencer Marketing: Leverage a resonant influencer to build organic authenticity amongst consumers. – “Recommended Video: 5 Summer Fashion Tips – sponsored by Fashion Brand X”
Seasonal Activations: Products that undergo cyclical summertimesales (allergy remedies) can benefit from time-limited promotions. – “Exclusive June deal! Buy our allergy product in June for a $5 eGift card”